Cannon Beach has been named “One of the Most Beautiful Places in the World” by National Geographic and “One of the 100 Best Art Towns in America.”* So, it shouldn’t be a surprise that this spectacular natural beauty has beckoned artists from around the world to capture it “en plein air” or “in the open air.” In celebration of this challenging artistic style, the Cannon Beach Gallery Group is presenting their 10th Annual Plein Air & More Arts Festival. Scheduled for June 22-24, the event will feature more than 30 artists represented by Cannon Beach’s art galleries.
Many will be painting. But, as you wander through town, along the beach and through the galleries, you’ll also find sculptors working on stone, creating the clay forms that will eventually be cast in bronze, jewelers, ceramic artists (complete with a kiln on the beach), glass blowers and print makers.
The artists can be found near their representing galleries or in one of five locations: Whale Park, the courtyard between Spruce and Hemlock Streets, the Coaster Theatre Courtyard, Washington St. at Ocean and Harrison Street at Ocean. They will also all come together for an “Artists’ Swarm” from 2-4 p.m. on Saturday in the Coaster Theatre Courtyard. This will be the best opportunity for everyone to see them at work. Leading up to this event will be a 2-hour courtyard concert by the Boka Marimba Band, beginning at 11:30 and sponsored by Pelican Brewing Company and Hallmark Inns.
Also back by popular demand is the Saturday evening raku firing on the beach at Whale Park with Dave and Boni Deal. The gathering begins at 6:30 and features the “The Music of Zingari.”
Brochures will be available at all Cannon Beach Gallery Group locations and the Visitors Information Center, and will be distributed during the day by Portland stilt walker Melissa Rae. Visitors are encouraged to ask questions of the artists while they work.
Galleries and their participating artists include:
- Archimedes Gallery: Teagan White and Kelli MacConnell
- Bronze Coast Gallery: Dan Chen and Margret Short
- Cannon Beach Gallery: Sharon Abbott-Furze, Scott C. Johnson, Gary Lavarak, Hilma Josal
- DragonFire: Joanne Shellan, Anton Pavlenko, Michael Orwick, Dana Murray
- Icefire Gallery: Jim Kingwell, Suzanne Kindland and Steve Krig
- Imprint Gallery: Mark Andres, Karen Croner, Jani Holberg
- Jeffrey Hull Gallery: Jeffrey Hull
- Jewelry By Sharon Amber: Sharon Amber, Shelby Silver
- Northwest By Northwest Gallery: Hazel Schlesinger
- White Bird Gallery: Gretha Lindwood, Dave and Boni Deal, Josh Henrie, Debra Carnes, Marianne Post, Brooke Borcherding, Rachel Laura, Beverly Drew Kindley
Presenter: Cannon Beach Gallery Group
Read more about: