Oregon Coast Council for the Arts is accepting proposals for workshops on paper, paper-related and book-arts subjects for the 2018 Newport Paper & Book Arts Festival XXIII. We welcome new and innovative techniques as well as traditional processes.
We encourage you to submit multiple workshops for consideration. Previous workshops have included Asian, Coptic and Japanese book binding, miniature books, papermaking, paper casting, silk paper, paste papers, paper jewelry, suminigashi (paper marbling), orizomegami and itajime (folded paper resist dyeing), paper basketry, Japanese surface design techniques, greeting cards with book structures, box construction, paper lamps and screens, stamp art, woodblock, linoleum and Safety-Kut printing, collage and mixed-media embellishments.
Our classrooms vary in size, accommodating from 8-16 students. In your proposal you should indicate how many students you are willing to teach, and then the OCCA staff determines the maximum in each workshop, taking into consideration room size and availability of services. Instructors are paid based on how many students actually attend the class. All workshops are full day. Workshop hours are 9:30am to 12:30pm and 1:30pm to 4:30pm with an hour break for lunch from 12:30 to 1:30pm. Each workshop must fit into six (6) hours.
Instructors will receive:
- $325 for 6 to 10 students, $350 for 11 or more students.
- The Materials Fee for each student. The materials fee should be the cost of the materials that you supply for the workshop projects.
- Complimentary lunch on the day(s) you instruct. Register your lunch choice(s) on the registration form.
- A stipend of $0.10 a mile roundtrip (for shortest route) to reimburse a portion of travel to and from Newport, up to $200.
- Lodging for one night for each workshop taught, if needed.
- An invitation to show work for sale in the 2018 NPAF Instructor’s Show in the Upstairs Gallery. (OCCA members pay a 35% gallery commission; non-OCCA members pay a 40% gallery commission.)
- 25% off the registration fee of any workshops taken at the festival. (Materials fees and lunches not included.)
Fill out the attached form (download as either a PDF or Word document under "Downloads," under the map) and mail with samples or photos, or email jpeg images (250 dpi) of your project to firstname.lastname@example.org. Send a separate form for each workshop proposal and retain a copy for yourself.
The final deadline for proposals is September 29, 2017. Please send in your proposals as soon as possible ahead of the deadline. Don’t wait until the last minute to submit! Note: Proposals that are incomplete or are postmarked after September 29 cannot be considered.
OCCA will mail proposal acceptance confirmations in October or early November. At that time, OCCA will supply further information about the festival schedule.
Mail to: NPBAF/OCCA, PO BOX 1315, NEWPORT OR 97365 or email proposal to: email@example.com
Workshop Questions: Tom Webb, 541-265-6569, firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration Questions: Sara Siggelkow, email@example.com
Read more about: