In its eighteenth year, the Newport Paper Arts Festival is the only paper festival of its kind on the Oregon coast and draws attendees from the greater Northwest and beyond. The annual festival features three days of innovative, informative and exciting one-day workshops celebrating papermaking, surface embellishment, bookmaking, bindings, articles made of paper, and techniques and tools for working with paper and fibers, all at the Newport Visual Arts Center (with one exception, Nature Monoprinting with a Press, which is held in Toledo).
New instructors this year include Heather Fortner, Sandra Frick, Sarah Gayle, and Amanda Puetz teaching workshops including Gyotaku – the Art of the Fishprint, Exploring the Stars, Handprinted Botanical Journal, Unique Paper Masks, Paper Making with Inclusions, Tie-Cycling – Recycling Old Neckties into Book Cloth and Nature Printing with a Press.
Local instructor Cheri Aldrich, is taking part again this year to teach Complex Surfaces – Tantalizing Textures. Cynthia Griffin and Nancy Holley return this year to teach Pulp Friction – Fun with Paper Casting, and Nancy will teach All the Angles – Triangle Box and Book. Dolores Guffey returns from Northern California to offer Wax-A-Doodle.
Doris Arndt from Tacoma, Wash., will teach Mighty Mini Metal Journal and Upcycled Aluminum Cans and Patricia Edmonds offers two workshops, Sew it on Cords and Little Books in Little Boxes – Exposed Spine Techniques.
All classes are scheduled from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 1:30-4:30 p.m. each day. Here are individual class descriptions:
- Friday, Apr. 19 – GYOTAKU - THE ART OF THE FISHPRINT
- Friday, Apr. 19 – PULP FRICTION - FUN WITH PAPER CASTING
- Friday, Apr. 19 – EXPLORING THE STARS
- Friday, Apr. 19 – MIGHTY MINI METAL JOURNAL
- Friday, Apr. 19 – HANDPRINTED BOTANICAL JOURNAL
- Saturday, Apr. 20 – COMPLEX SURFACES - TANTALIZING TEXTURES
- Saturday, Apr. 20 – SEW IT ON CORDS
- Saturday, Apr. 20 – TUBE BINDINGS - SIMPLE, SOPHISTICATED, STRUCTURAL
- Saturday, Apr. 20 – UPCYCLED ALUMINUM CANS
- Saturday, Apr. 20 – ALL THE ANGLES - TRIANGLE BOX AND BOOK
- Saturday, Apr. 20 – UNIQUE PAPER MASKS
- Sunday, Apr. 21 – PAPER MAKING WITH INCLUSIONS
- Sunday, Apr. 21 – JAPANESE PORTFOLIO BOXES
- Sunday, Apr. 21 – LITTLE BOOKS IN LITTLE BOXES - EXPOSED SPINE TECHNIQUES
- Sunday, Apr. 21 – TIE-CYCLING - RECYCLE OLD NECKLACES INTO BOOK CLOTH
- Sunday, Apr. 21 – WAX-A-DOODLE
- Sunday, Apr. 21 – NATURE MONOPRINTING WITH A PRESS
Annual Instructors Show & Sale
OCCA members and the public are invited to view work by the Newport Paper Arts Festival instructors in the Upstairs Gallery at the Newport Visual Arts Center April 5-21, and to purchase those works at the Instructors' Sale on Saturday, April 20, from 5:30 to 7pm. The sale features a fascinating array of art books and blank journals, cards, jewelry, prints, plus a variety of other delightful items and paper arts products. There will also be a display of students’ projects that have been completed in the first two days of workshops.
Opening and closing receptions are scheduled for the Instructors Show.
Registration is accepted by postmark and there is still plenty of time to register for workshops. Lunches can be ordered for delivery to the class site each day. For more information, call Sally Houck, OCCA VAC Director, 541-265-6569, or email Ruth Kier, Registrar, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For an overview of the 2013 festival, or to register for classes, download the event brochure and registration form (both in PDF format).
Read more about: