In its nineteenth year, the Newport Paper Arts Festival is the only paper festival of its kind on the Oregon coast and draws attendees from the greater Northwest and beyond. The annual festival features three days of innovative, informative and exciting one-day workshops celebrating papermaking, surface embellishment, bookmaking, bindings, articles made of paper, and techniques and tools for working with paper and fibers, all at the Newport Visual Arts Center (with one exception, Nature Monoprinting with a Press, which is held at Sea Fern Studio in Toledo).
Instructors this year include Cheri Aldrich, Deb Curtis, Heather Fortner, Denise Gosar, Cynthia Griffin, Dolores Guffey, Nancy Holley, Margo Klass, Jeanne Kroeger, Sarah Gayle Plourde, Sandi Reinke, Moe Snyder, Jill Timm, and Jackie Wygant (read more about the instructors below or in the individual class listings).
Registration is accepted by postmark and there is still plenty of time to register for workshops. Lunches can be ordered for delivery to the class site each day. For more information, call Sally Houck, OCCA VAC Director, 541-265-6569, or email Ruth Kier, Registrar, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For an overview of the 2014 festival, download the event brochure and registration form (PDF).
All classes are scheduled from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 1:30-4:30 p.m. each day. Here are individual class descriptions:
- Friday, Apr. 11 – CREATING COLLAGE ELEMENTS
- Friday, Apr. 11 – LEAPIN' LEPORELLOS
- Friday, Apr. 11 – POCHOIR: THE ART OF FRENCH STENCILING
- Friday, Apr. 11 – ORIGAMI TEMPLE
- Friday, Apr. 11 – POLYMER CLAY JOURNAL COVER AND PEN
- Friday, Apr. 11 – FROM TREES TO TRASH TO TREES AGAIN
- Saturday, Apr. 12 – HAND PULLED PAPER
- Saturday, Apr. 12 – NATURALIST’S WOODLAND JOURNAL
- Saturday, Apr. 12 – EPHEMERA COUTURE
- Saturday, Apr. 12 – COILED BASKETS WITH PAPER CORD
- Saturday, Apr. 12 – SUMINAGASHI STYLE PAPER MARBLING
- Saturday, Apr. 12 – THE AMAZING DREMEL - DAY ONE OF TWO-DAY CLASS
- Sunday, Apr. 13 – EXPERIMENTAL PASTE PAPERS
- Sunday, Apr. 13 – SILK AND PLANT FIBER FUSION PAPER AND BEADED FIBER CUFF
- Sunday, Apr. 13 – MINIATURE BOOK BOX WITH COMPARTMENTS
- Sunday, Apr. 13 – LANDSCAPE COLLAGE/DIMENSIONAL ELEMENTS
- Sunday, Apr. 13 – BOTANICAL MONO-PRINTING WITH AN ETCHING PRESS
- Sunday, Apr. 13 – THE AMAZING DREMEL - SECOND DAY OF TWO-DAY CLASS
Annual Instructors Show
The Newport Paper Arts Festival instructors present an intriguing and fascinating show in the Upstairs Gallery at the Visual Arts Center from March 7 through April 12 with an Opening Reception on March 7 and a Closing Reception on April 12, both from 5pm to 7pm. This annual exhibit features a multitude of 3-D pieces and unique works. A combination of mediums and individual work has been the basis for this show for many years. “Everything, without exception, was excellent. Remarkable quality throughout!” was the comment made by a visitor to last year's show.